Christmas Tradition

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be sharing some of our Christmas traditions and why we do them. (I will be slowly updating this post with our traditions so that they're all in one place)

Advent: The first Christmas Tradition we have is Our Advent Calendar & Devotions for 2007 By Wheat Ridge Ministries Advent literally means "coming of the Saviour". Here is a brief history of Advent found here. What better way to introduce you children to Jesus, if you haven't already, but during the Christmas season. We do this tradition so that we, as parents, remember who we serve and to make us stay focused on the true meaning of Christmas. We do it for our children so that they, first of all will, know who the Saviour of the world is and second of all so that they will know why we celebrate Christmas. We do not do Santa Clause. Why? Because we feel that would be replacing Christ (who is the center of CHRISTmas) with a false idol in whom one puts their hopes, fears, & desires in. They will know, when the time is right, who Father Christmas was (who was actually a realy person!!).

This is our Advent Wreath (that I made this year). The meaning of the color of the candles, starting with the upper left candle and going clockwise, is; Hope, Joy, Peace, and Love and the middle white candle is the Christ candle which you light on Christmas Day.

Handel's Messiah: Every year, since DH and I have been married, we try to make it to a performance of Handel's Messiah. If you have never just sat and listen to the words of the Messiah and how the music goes with the words, I recommend that you get a copy of the whole Ontario. It is wonderful worship music!

We usually make this event a date for my DH and I but this year my children have been getting into listening to classical music (and when I say getting into it I mean conducting and clapping with the music and closing their eyes and rocking with the beat. It's so very cute!) so we decided to take the children to a sing along version of the Messiah at a local church.

Christmas Cookies: I must say this year I have not been up to the task of making Christmas cookies and I'm thinking of throwing out this idea for this years Christmas. I have made some but not the usual oodles of cookies that I usually make.

I've only made these cookies so far:

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Snowmen Cookies

Andes Creme De Menthe Cookies

Cookie Dough Truffles

Muddy Buddies

Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies (w/o the raisins)

These are the cookies I was planning on making:

Gingerbread Boy Cookies

Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies

White Chocolate Pretzels

Comments

Anonymous said…
We'll celebrate all Twelve Days of Christmas leading up to Epiphany too!