Jesse Tree Orthodox Christian Advent Devotions


Since coming to the Orthodox Christian faith I have realize that the "traditional" Advent Wreath doesn't really work for us anymore. Our advent starts about two weeks earlier than Catholics and other Christians. So the traditional advent wreath would have to be altered significantly for us. This year I found a company on Etsy that makes and sales Orthodox Jesse tree ornaments! They even include scripture to read along with each ornament. You can read all about the whole concept behind the Jesse Tree on the Antiochian website. If you don't have money in your budget to buy the ornaments above you can make your own. I have put together images for the 40 days (I might add images for the 12 days of Christmas if time allows). You can get them free by clicking here  Here are the bible readings that are to be used with the symbol to put on the tree (it also includes readings for the 12 days of Christmas). I decided to add the Children's Bible Reader pages that correspond with the bible reading for those of you with younger children. Jesse Tree Topic, Symbol, Bible Readings, and Children’s Bible Reader Page.

To give you an idea of what your ornaments could look like, here are some of ours.

If I had been planning ahead I probably would have decoupaged them onto wood circles and drilled holes for the string.

ENJOY~~

Comments

joyfulmom73 said…
Thank you for this! I am new to Orthodoxy, with 4 young children and wasn't sure what we were going to do to lead up to Christmas. This is perfect! :)
Unknown said…
You are very welcome!! Enjoy!! And welcome Home!
MrsDiGiacomo said…
Thank you for sharing this. It has inspired me to do this with our boys. Even though we started late, I think we'll try to do as much as we can. Last year we tried to make our own advent wreath and it didn't turn out very well. :)
Blessed fast, and thank you again.
Unknown said…
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have 4 kids under 7, homeschool and barely have time to shower. ;-) This is wonderful!!!!